Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Girl IRL

So, you play WoW, and you're a girl in the game does your gameplay change? I have read a few accounts of girl players being picked on and looked down on because of their gender. That really irritates me... girls have just as much right to play as guys do and it shouldn't matter. Yes some players are more comfortable and skilled with their character then others, I'm no pro hunter by any means, but gender should not be a factor.

As for my experience in WoW I have recieved nothing but warm welcomes and a helping hand when I've needed it most. I mean sure being a girl character helps (look! a damsel in distress...ahem...I'll save you!) but I do make it a point to talk to the people I meet that have helped me out (or vice versa) and make a bit of conversation. I usually always ask if they are a guy or girl, and when they find out I'm a girl I haven't gotten any flack.

The real test came when I joined a group for Ring of Blood in Nagrand and....voice chat was on. I said something (gasp) there was a slight pause (the shock! the disbelief! a girl in our midst!!) lol. But then it was back to business, we got through it and were down to the second to last fight and I noticed I had a problem..I had missed a quest turn-in somewhere and was behind. I said something about it (while cursing myself out with the mic turned off..lol) and it wasn't a big deal (much to my suprise). And a few pulls later someone else had the same problem and we did it over again. Ah well you live and learn. It was fun.

So in short...yeah there will probably be the jerks out there that can't get their mind around a girl playing the game, but I have yet to run into one yet and if I do he will get a piece of my mind on the gender thing if that comes into play (my guildies most likely won't hesitate to say something either ;) ). So ladies do your thing and if you are worried about being a girl in to game don't worry, you will most likely make friends and not enemies.

1 comment:

Beth said...

I've only heard of one situation where someone I know was mistreated for being a girl, and it wasn't as a player. One of our 14-year-old boys had given his account info to a friend and that friend was logging on without permission and asking one of our married women all sorts of personal sexual questions. We had to put a stop to it immediately, and everything turned out okay (the boy changed his password).

But that's as much a tale of "Don't Give Out Your Account Info" as anything. ;)